Monday, January 5, 2009

If only


Believe me, I understand the concept of "when your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail." And I am not one of those who thinks that advertising (in whatever form) is a panacea. We just don't play that at Nasuti + Hinkle.

But when I hear talk about how business is down or leads aren't coming or pricing is struggling or rooms are empty from people who have cut or eliminated their advertising budgets, I just want to scream.

Because whether you do it on the web, in a newspaper, on the radio, on television or anywhere else, if properly done, advertising can help draw customers and attract business. That's just the way it is. A smart, well-done effort can more than pay for itself. Really. No kidding. Seriously. I mean it.

( Note that I referred to a "smart, well-done effort". Not just any old thing.)

What kind of business decision is it to eliminate something that can cost-efficiently do you some good? It's a bit like someone on their way to an important and potentially profitable meeting who gets a flat but doesn't have a jack because he wanted to save money when he bought the car.

And even though some guy is standing right there with one for rent, the driver doesn't want to do it. He's going to try to get to the make meeting on three wheels.

No comments: