Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I know where those scams started

You know the ones. "I am the finance minister of blahblahblah" or "we found 20 zillion simoleans under a mattress need someone in America to deposit it for us" kind of things.

Or the one I got yesterday that informed me that the payment address for my Wachovia credit card which I do not have has changed and please send checks to the new place or just give us your account number please.

It was Soupy Sales. That's right, Uncle Soupy.

On January 1, 1965, Soupy finished his live show a bit early, He was already honked at having to work on New Year's Day, and he ad-libbed a bit, suggesting that kids everywhere find their parents' wallets and send him those "green pieces of paper" with pictures of George Washington and other presidents on them. The story is true, although he didn't get very much and managed only to piss off NBC. Read it here.

But he established the first rule of Internet scams: "If you do nothing more than tell people to send you money, some of them will.".

This may be one of the lamest posts I have ever put up. But it gave me the excuse I have been looking for to put up a picture of Soupy Sales AND use the word "simoleans".

Hooray for me.

No comments: