Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I'm not here today.

That’s because April Fool’s Day is a holiday at Nasuti + Hinkle, so we’re closed. I’m not even here. I slept late, went for a run, had a nourishing breakfast and then went back to bed for the rest of the day. I’ll be in tomorrow.

I love April Fool’s Day. April Fool’s Day was my first day on my own after I escaped the financial security of a corporate job. Seemed an appropriate date at the time. And in hindsight, I guess it was, but maybe not like I thought.

My friend from Fairchild Industries, Marlene Duvall, was born on April Fool’s Day. So was Karen’s uncle, Dana Nasuti. A few years ago, John Cassell, a friend of ours who is a wonderful remodeling contractor, waited at our house until we left for the day and then posted a VERY official-looking sign noting that our home had been rezoned for a duplex. It was great. Totally freaked out the neighbors. My friend Barbara Roybal used to go down to Dupont Circle and play the old money-on-a-fishing-line joke on people. We have a basket of old-fashioned hand-buzzers here for anybody who needs one. One day, we’ll start having April Fool’s parties again.

My buddy, photographer Carl Caruso, called this morning with a "new business lead". Contact name is "Meehoff, Jack". And in recognition of this day of days, I'm wearing a white Brooks Brothers, button-down shirt and tie. And if you know me at all, you can appreciate that.

Imagine. A whole day dedicated to nothing more than making people laugh.

Happy April Fool’s Day. Go do something silly.

2 comments:

Eric said...

Happy Founders Day!

Another Notable April 1st... It's my wedding anniversary. No Joke...

The Fused Mind said...

It is important to never take ourselves to seriously. You have also given me some great ideas to use next April Fool's Day!