Thursday, March 20, 2008

Don't watch this just before you go to bed.


This is a very creepy, marginally disgusting anti-child abuse spot from Germany that I found on the Illegal Advertising site.

Honestly, the first time I saw it, I couldn’t watch the whole thing. It was only when I showed it to others in the office that I got through to the end ― and the payoff. The general reaction around here was along the lines of “Eeeewww!”

Which raises the question, I think, of whether you can go so far in showing something like the effects of child abuse that you force your audience to turn away ― and miss your message. There’s a fine line between shocking enough to make an indelible point and so shocking that people can’t bring themselves to pay attention.

I don’t know whether this crossed that line or not. I kind of think it did. But it’s damn sure unforgettable.

No comments: